“Do something that’s gonna help your future self”, Philly McMahon
Role models have a powerful impact on the youth and communities that are watching them. The Food Dudes programme exposes children to positive role models in the form of the heroic Food Dudes characters as well as their classmates, teachers, family and local community heroes like Kellie and Philly. Seeing and hearing from role models like Kellie and Philly is a great way to demonstrate the importance of and benefits of healthy eating.
Here’s a reminder of what Kellie and Philly have shown us:
- Good nutrition is key in sport and in everyday life.
- Little habit changes over time can make a real difference.
- Fruit and vegetables can be easily added to many meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Being prepared helps with good nutrition every day. This is how you can increase concentration and improve performance, in school and in sport.
- Everyone can have an ‘off day’ and that’s okay.
- We can all learn something new every day about eating healthy and forming healthy habits – from our teachers, friends, family and communities.
- Winning isn’t everything – the journey you are on and the lessons you learn along the way is what matters the most. Having fun while being active is really important. Enjoy a kick about with your friends or try something new.